Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I'm a Pretty Pretty Princess; Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orensten; Argument

                                            

*These are my Disney Princess Crowns that I have.  Notice how Cinderella's is a tiara and Snow
                                                                  Whites is a bow.*

When I first started to read this article I got really argumentative because I love Disney Princess as I was growing up.  As a child I would watch all the Disney Princess movies and play with my American Girl Dolls.  I was one of the kids that had every Disney Princess toy, tv, sleeping bag, hair accessories, you name it I probably had it.  Snow White was my favorite Disney Princess when I was growing up.  I would want to wear a red bow in my hair everyday.  Growing up, I grew out of that phase of being a Disney Princess and became the person that I am today.  Is Snow White still my favorite Disney, yes, but I never ate a poisoned apple and waiting for my prince charming to come save me (that would never happen).




The argument that Orenstein is showing us is that these Disney Princess are role models in determine a young girls reflection of herself and the imagine she wants to portray.  One way that this self imagine is shown through the Disney Princess is the way they dress.  If you notice all the princess are in dress, except Jasmine.  All girls wear dressing, you never see their Prince Charmings wear dresses they are always wearing pants.  A quote that I found very interesting was, "Both Princess and American Girl promote shopping as the path to intimacy between mothers and daughters; as an expression, even for five-year-olds, of female identity."  I do find this statement to be very true.  It is very rare when you see a father and son go on a shopping trip for "bonding trip".  Girls are expected to look pretty and portray a beautiful body figure while showing off these great clothing attire. 



Comments and Questions:
Growing up I never really saw the facts that Orenstein pointed out in this reading.  I wondering if being a little girl in this society has changed perspectives of different things.  I also want to understand why they decides to market this franchise so late in the careers or the princesses?  That most have something to do this the growth of every girl wanting to be a princess.     



2 comments:

  1. Tori, love your post! I can agree with a lot of what you say. My father and I used to go shopping as out bonding time while my Mom was at work. It was really a stretch for him because he couldn't really ever understand why I cared so much about looking pretty. He always told me how I was a princess even without all the materialistic things. Girls have a really hard time keeping up with the media and the latest trends. We really do have a lot of pressure on us to portray the "perfect image" that society says we must have. It's awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Torie, I found it really interesting that Orenstein pointed out the mother-daughter bonding too. It is so true! Whenever my mom and I have time together we end up going shopping for one reason or another. I too had many princess items growing up, but like you and most other girls, grew out of it at a young age.

    ReplyDelete